Tidewater Sharks Soccer Club and Yorktown Football Club have announced the two youth soccer clubs reached an agreement to merge the clubs, and will begin the Fall 2020 season with YFC now called the Yorktown Sharks. See below the official announcement, penned by Sharks Soccer Club:
Tidewater Sharks is excited to announce it will be joining forces with Yorktown FC beginning in the Fall 2020 Soccer Season! Yorktown FC is a well-established soccer club who has been developing quality players and teams for over 10 years. Tidewaters Sharks has continued to grow each year with playing opportunities in the highly competitive National Premier League (NPL) and also the Regional ECNL (Elite Club National League). Tidewater Sharks and Yorktown FC have a mutual desire to increase opportunities for its players, teams and coaches. Teams will play in TASL, VSL, NPL and are also a club affiliate with Richmond United. This merger will allow Tidewater Sharks to grow geographically with practice and games fields in Yorktown , New Kent and Williamsburg. In addition, it will create a larger player pool so that players and teams will have more opportunities regardless of level. Our coaching staff will now include great coaches from Yorktown FC. “This is a great opportunity for both Yorktown FC and Tidewater Sharks,” says Sharks Club Director Martin Vickerton. “We have had some great discussions over the last few months and are very excited for both Yorktown FC and Tidewater Sharks players and parents. We look forward to this partnership as we continue to be one of the most competitive soccer clubs in Virginia.”
Not a lot will change for our Williamsburg based Tidewater Sharks teams. TASL and VSL teams will continue as normal, training and playing home games in Williamsburg. New Kent Sharks teams will continue training in New Kent and playing home games in Williamsburg. Yorktown Sharks teams will continue training and playing home games in Yorktown. VPSL & ECNL RL (elite) teams will also continue as normal, but may add one training session in Yorktown if multiple Yorktown players are added to the roster. This will be determined after tryouts.
Thank you to all of you for indirectly making this happen. Both clubs are run with integrity, strong core values and have great coaches, organized team managers, respectful players, and positive, supportive parents. We will continue to create a special environment for our players to excel, enjoy the game and to be part of a club bigger than soccer.
Initial key information to share:
- Pooling resources and players together, a greater opportunity exists from our AP Sharks all the way through the highest levels of competition in our Virginia Premier Soccer League (VPSL) and Elite Clubs National League (ECNL Regional) and as an affiliate club with Richmond United ECNL. Yorktown FC will be merging with the Sharks, re-naming its presence in Yorktown as Yorktown sharks, with a new and distinctive Yorktown logo.
- The Yorktown branch of the club will be overseen by many of the prior board of directors of YFC, to ensure continuity. Yorktown will also have representatives on the Sharks Board of Directors.
- Current Yorktown staff will continue is the following roles; Travis Kirby, Yorktown Sharks DOC, Jeff Sykes, Yorktown Fields/ Facilities, Jennifer Gates, Flynn Cunningham, Yorktown Administrators.
- Existing YFC coaches are provided the opportunity to remain with their current teams.
- Yorktown Sharks teams will continue to play their home matches at the McReynold’s Athletic Complex and utilize York County- based fields for training.
- VPSL/ ECNL RL Elite level teams will practice three times a week. If Yorktown players are added to the roster, there is a possibility one of the practices will be in York County and two in Williamsburg.
- Yorktown Sharks players will wear the same uniform as the Tidewater Sharks teams, but with their own unique logo.
- Fees will align with all Sharks teams.
In the coming days we will be publishing important information via email, social media accounts Facebook (Tidewater Sharks Soccer Club & Yorktown Sharks Soccer Club), Instagram tidewater_sharks_soccer, and our website www.sharks-soccer.com
We are still waiting on local guidelines to provide more information until we can specify our tryout dates. Plan A will be the end of June, plan B Mid- July, and plan c the end of July/early August. As soon as we know the guidelines for the next phase, we will send updates.
We are excited to get back on the soccer fields and unite under one club.
Sharks Soccer Club